Home         Video Gallery         Free Downloads         Press        Other Projects        Contact        Forum        Join us on Facebook!

snake knot, help please!

Fusion knot and historical knot tutorials.

snake knot, help please!

Postby tiga311 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:32 pm

So I've been tying for awhile but am still considering myself a newbie. I decided to make and hand out paracord bracelets to friends for christmas and I gave away about 15 of them. Now I'm getting special requests. Anyways I was hoping someone could help me because I want to make a snake knot key fob. The problem is JD's start doesn't have a loop in it he just closes the two ends together in a knot. I'm not sure what a good starting (or finishing) knot with a loop would be. I don't think I would like the look of endless falls base, I could tie a simple solomon start but that's not going to look the best either. Well thanks in advanced for any suggestions.
tiga311

Re: snake knot, help please!

Postby vladaudio » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:04 am

Please visit and comment: http://vladaudio.blogspot.ro/
Just for fun
vladaudio

Postby tiga311 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:14 am

Thanks for the tips I will definitely try one of these.
tiga311

Postby ChappyCole » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:20 pm

I'm guessing that you want to create a 2 color Snake Knot key fob. You mentioned that you want your tie to begin with a loop knot. There's no way to start a tie with a thin start loop with two strands of paracord. The 3rd video suggested by vladaudio shows two colors of paracord melted together. You could melt your two cords together, then choose one color to form the beginning loop out of (I'll use blue), fold the fused cords in the blue section near the fuse spot, then form a snake knot with the two working ends of the folded, fused strand. When you form the snake knot, manage the location of the fuse spot so that it is relatively hidden and so that the knot shows each color evenly. That will make a simple, thin, single strand blue loop as your starting feature and nothing but snake knots below.

On a side note, most snake knot videos show snake knots formed by passing the working end two times through each loop formed. This makes for a thicker, wider, spongier result than using just a single pass through the loops. So, if you want a thicker, wider and spongier result and are ok spending a lot more time forming and tightening each knot, then use the two pass method. However, I prefer the much faster and simpler method of passing the working ends just one time through each loop. The resulting tie has the same pattern as the double pass, just thinner, narrower and firmer.

Chappy
ChappyCole

Return to Knot & Tie Tutorials